You asked about my internet literacy habits: websites I am regularly visiting, blogs I often read, preferred web pages. Since there are quite a few I am truly fond of, I will describe them in series, randomly choosing 3 web pages in each article.
“We need to build websites with celebrity speakers who talk about the ideals of fairness, sharing, democratic cooperation, and altruism in public life.” Deepak Chopra
1. Brain Pickings
“The core ethos behind Brain Pickings is that creativity is a combinatorial force: it’s our ability to tap into our mental pool of resources — knowledge, insight, information, inspiration, and all the fragments populating our minds — that we’ve accumulated over the years just by being present and alive and awake to the world, and to combine them in extraordinary new ways. In order for us to truly create and contribute to the world, we have to be able to connect countless dots, to cross-pollinate ideas from a wealth of disciplines, to combine and recombine these pieces and build new ideas.” Maria Popova
Describing Brain Pickings as “a cross-disciplinary LEGO treasure chest, full of pieces spanning art, science, psychology, design, philosophy, history, politics, anthropology, and more”, Maria Popova features originally illustrated articles on a variety of appealing topics. E.g. (random story titles):
- Carl Sagan on the Meaning of Life
- How Van Gogh Found His Purpose: Heartfelt Letters to His Brother on How Relationships Refine Us
- Anne Lamott on the Greatest Gift of Friendship and the Uncomfortable Art of Letting Yourself Be Seen
- The Science of Stress, Orgasm and Creativity
- Rilke on What Winter Teaches Us about the Richness of Life and the Tenacity of the Human Spirit
And many, many more!
Brain Pickings also has a free weekly interestingness digest, which comes out every Sunday and reaches your e-mail address upon subscription.
2. Growing Bolder
What is Growing Bolder?
“It’s an attitude. A mission. A passion. A team of people who believe in the power of hope, inspiration and possibility.” GB Team (N.b. each team member has an impressive life story as well)
Growing Bolder features ordinary people living extraordinary lives and share tools and tips to inspire and empower people to live the life they want.
Randomly selected articles / documentaries:
- The Power of Love: A Mother’s Determination to Beat Cancer
- 362 Years Between Them: A World Swimming Record
- Conquering Kilimanjaro
- The Woman Who Changed History Forever
- What Does Peace Mean To You?
- Rock Stars of Aging (e-Book)
Growing Bolder Newsletters are free upon subscription.
“Everything you do has to matter. Live big and bold. Take calculated risks and try to make a difference for others” Wendy Chioji – Growing Bolder Elite Blogger, 2-time cancer survivor and 5-time Ironman finisher. Anchor, fundraiser, and world traveler who has climbed the largest free-standing mountain in the world.
Entrepreneur is inspiring, informing and celebrating entrepreneurs since 1973. It addresses diverse challenges at all stages of business, providing support and presenting real-life stories of entrepreneurs in a variety of work fields.
The online articles are inserted daily, but they can be selected by popularity as well (Top 50 by page views & social engagement). Each article has an icon indicating the approximate time needed to read through.
E.g. Right now, when writing this article, the top 5 reads on Entrepreneur are:
- How I Built a Startup While Traveling to 20 Countries (Jay Meistrich)
- 5 Daily Habits That Will Increase Your Productivity Levels (Matt Mayberry)
- Use Lifestyle Content to Revamp Your Company’s Marketing Strategy (Jack Holt)
- Consistency is the Key to Breaking Bad Habits and Forming New Ones (Jayson Demers)
- How to Cure Entrepreneurial Brain Freeze (Ami Kassar)
You can also browse articles by featured contributor or by category (Marketing Strategies, Productivity, Habits, Entrepreneur Bank Search, Starting a Business, Office Etiquette, Partnerships and many more).
The “How To” section is a one-stop-shop for all latest tips and strategies from leading industry experts.
“Lists” include Business Ideas, Franchises, Money, People and Companies (e.g. 100 Brilliant Companies, 30 Startups to Watch, 120 Most Trusted Brands in America, 10 Viral Marketing Campaigns).
Hoping this helps, enjoy reading recommended sites!
(To be continued …)
Featured photographer: Geraldine Aresteanu