Innovation as a Country Indicator
World’s Most Innovative Countries in 2019 (according to Bloomberg Innovation Index)
- South Korea
The World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies
(according to Fast Company)
Fast Company’s editors sought out groundbreaking businesses across 35 industries worldwide. A remarkable blend of new businesses & consecrated ones, proving that innovation comes in an impressive diversity of forms and shapes. Read top 10 here and browse for more.
- Meituan Dianping – honored for pioneering transactional super apps
Chinese tech platform that expedites the booking & delivery of services such as food, hotel stays and movie tickets.
- Grab – honored for leveraging transportation platform to create a super app for Southeast Asia
Singapore-based ride-hailing company that forced Uber out of Southeast Asia in 2018 and acquired its local operations.
- NBA – honored for giving every fan a court-side seat
The league broke attendance records for the fourth straight season.
- The Walt Disney Company – honored for diving into the stream
Disney retooled its organization to deliver its own video services rather than license content.
- Stitch Fix – honored for fixing retail one data point at a time
Upstart e-commerce service delivering boxes of women’s fashion.
- Sweetgreen – honored for flaunting its roots
Fast-casual, farm-to-table food business with 91 restaurants in eight U.S. states and a network of 150 farmers across the country.
- Apeel Sciences – honored for keeping it fresh
Californian company whose edible coating product “Apeel” can make avocados, citrus and other types of fruit last twice as long as usual by using a tasteless edible coating made from plant materials.
- Square – honored for providing a more elegant way to pay
Financial services, merchant services aggregator, and mobile payment company based in San Francisco.
- Oatly – honored for rising to the top
Swedish company Oatly was the first manufacturer to commercialize oat milk (as of 1994), but it was only after launching in the U.S. in 2016 that the product became a sensation.
- Twitch – honored for live-streaming the Revolution
Video service owned by Amazon.
Cover photography© Madalina Dobraca | Featured Artist: Eduard Cristian Coman, Salonul de Miniatura 2019, Muzeul de Arta Moderna și Contemporana Pavel Susara
In-text photography© Madalina Dobraca | Featured Artists: Dreamrec (Silviu Visan & Anton Groov), BINAR 2019 (Bucharest Artworlds at The Wrong Biennale #4)